- 1 lb diced lamb, leg or shoulder
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 carrot, quartered lengthways and chopped
- 1 large turnip, peeled and roughly diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 large chilies, chopped
- 2 tsp TurmeriX™
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 2 sprigs mint
- Heat some oil in a heavy based pan on medium heat, add the garlic and chili and sauté until garlic is aromatic.
- Add carrot and onion to the pan and sauté until until onion becomes translucent.
- Add lamb to the pan and stir through vegetables. Keep stirring from time to time until lamb starts to brown, season with salt.
- Add spices and stir quickly making sure spices don't stick to the bottom of the pan & burn (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add the canned tomatoes and the liquid from the chickpeas; if needed top up with water or chicken stock until ingredients are nearly covered by liquid.
- Tie three coriander roots together with string and gently nestle into the liquid.
- Simmer for ten minutes then stir in the chickpeas.
- Place diced turnip on the base of a casserole or tagine and transfer the contents of the pan over the turnips.
- Replace lid on casserole or tagine (or cover with foil ) and place in a preheated 350°F oven for 65 to 75 minutes.
Serve with couscous or roasted root vegetables sprinkled with shredded mint and coriander. Garnish with yogurt or labneh if needed. (Serves 4)
Post adapted from TurmeriX Australia.