Moroccan Lamb Tagine
- 1 lb diced lamb, leg or shoulder
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 carrot, quartered lengthways and chopped
- 1 large turnip, peeled and roughly diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 large chilies, chopped
- 2 tbsp TurmeriX
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 2 sprigs mint
- Heat some oil in a heavy based pan on medium heat, add the garlic and chili and sauté until garlic is aromatic.
- Add carrot and onion to the pan and sauté until onion becomes translucent.
- Add lamb to the pan and stir through vegetables. Keep stirring from time to time until lamb starts to brown, season with salt.
- Add spices and stir quickly making sure spices don’t stick to the bottom of the pan and burn (approx. 2 minutes).
- Add the canned tomatoes and the liquid from the chickpeas, if needed top up with water or chicken stock until ingredients are nearly covered by liquid.
- Tie three coriander roots together with string and gently nestle into the liquid.
- Simmer for ten minutes then stir in the chickpeas.
- Place diced turnip on the base of a casserole dish or tagine and transfer the contents of the pan over the turnips.
- Replace lid on a casserole dish or tagine (or cover with foil) and place in a preheated 350˚F oven for 65 to 75 minutes.
- Serve with couscous or roasted root vegetables sprinkled with shredded mint and coriander. Garnish with yogurt or labneh if needed.